One of the most hopeful and inspiring outcomes of our growing Mwanzo Education Center in Rabuor, Kenya, is seeing the students and teachers come together to broaden educational opportunities! Earlier in 2018 Mwanzo shared the story of primary class students re-instituting an old practice of electing class leaders, through secret ballot, for each grade as well as a Student Body President. One of our student leaders, Tasha, was chosen through this process to represent the Grades 1-4 classes.
In the past several weeks, our outstanding staff responded to this "challenge" by establishing committees - each headed by one or more of our teachers - to expand the students' extra-curricular activities, and support each other in their professional growth as mentors and teachers. Specifically, our schoolteachers are leading the efforts in the following areas:
(1) creating a "Scouting Program" for students;
(2) instituting a "Teachers' Welfare, Guidance, and Counseling" service to support our school staff;
(3) establishing a "Debate Club";
(4) implementing a "Health and Sanitation" program to ensure the best health of our students;
(5) developing a "Games and Sport" program to provide regular physical exercise for students; and,
(7) opening a school library.
These collaborative efforts bring a big smile to our faces, because they represent a holistic effort to educate our preschoolers and primary students in both mind and body. They also strengthen the school and its connection to the community and wider world in ways too many to note!
The Mwanzo Board thanks you for your steadfast support and giving of gifts.